Off the wire
UN mourns death of senior U.S. diplomat, outstanding UN supporter Reed  • Spanish stock market falls 0.19 pct  • Nobel Prize in Literature to be announced later than expected: reports  • Seven armed bandits killed in Nigeria's oil-rich region: army  • U.S. consumer sentiment rises in September  • British FTSE 100 decreases 0.29 pct on Friday  • Nepal's parliament passes bill prohibiting strikes in industries  • South Asian experts urge Nepal to take initiatives to resolve current crisis in SAARC  • Pakistan postpones regional summit after India's boycott: Foreign Ministry  • U.S. Navy awards first LRIP contract for Triton UAS program  
You are here:   Home

Military operation to retake Iraq's Mosul to start soon: French minister

Xinhua, October 1, 2016 Adjust font size:

French Defense Minsiter Jean-Yves Le Drian on Friday said a military offensive to retake the Iraqi city of Mosul, a stronghold of Islamic State (IS), will start soon.

"The battle for Mosul has not started yet, but there will soon be a major attack," Le Drian was quoted as saying by local media.

During a visit to a naval shipyard in northwestern France, French minister added that the Rafale warplanes mission in Iraq was "an extension of support for the coalition."

Earlier on Friday, eight Rafal fighter jets took off from a carrier in the eastern Mediterranean. It was not clear whether the French jets were to carry out air strikes or if they were on a reconnaissance mission.

A day earlier, the United States raised the number of troops in Iraq to more than 5,000 in order to provide air support and training to the Iraqi forces.

In a previous interview with French radio, the Defense Minister Jean Yves Le Drian said the international coalition fighting IS insurgents aimed to retake Mosul in Iraq and Rekka in Syria by end of the year.

France was one of the first European countries to join the U.S.-led coalition against IS. Its fighter jets have bombed the group in Iraq since 2014. Endit