Off the wire
JSE retreats on Friday with losses across board  • Americans' desire for major third party surges: poll  • Tibet dams river for its costliest hydro project  • Construction of Trans Adriatic Pipeline kicks off in Albania  • Israel pays Turkey 20 mln USD compensation over flotilla raid in 2010  • 1st Ld Writethru: Premier calls for further reform  • Berdych, Gasquet into semis, Tomic out in Shenzhen Open  • U.S. stocks rally in last trading day of Q3  • Roundup: Cypriot court upholds Egyptian request for extradition of hijacker  • Xinhua world news summary at 1530 GMT, Sept. 30  
You are here:   Home

Zambia's opposition lawmakers boycott official opening of parliament

Xinhua, October 1, 2016 Adjust font size:

All lawmakers from Zambia's main opposition political party on Friday boycotted the official opening of parliament by President Edgar Lungu.

All the 58 members of parliament from the United Party for National Development (UPND) did not show up for the official opening of the first session of the 12th National Assembly, which was only attended by 88 lawmakers from the ruling Patriotic Front (PF), one from the opposition Forum for Democracy and Development (FDD) and 14 independent lawmakers.

The benches on which the opposition lawmakers were supposed to sit remained empty when Lungu was addressing the House.

The UPND has refused to recognize Lungu as duly elected after last month's general elections, claiming the vote was stolen.

Efforts to get comments from senior party officials proved futile as their mobile phones were out of reach.

During his address, Lungu outlined a blueprint for national development in the next five years.

Lungu said his government will embark on all-round development plan that will embrace all people, asking for support from all stakeholders.

He said his administration will strive to ensure that the welfare of people was improved and pledged to heighten the fight against corruption. Endit