History of China - ASEAN Poverty and Social Development Exchange
chinagate.cn, June 14, 2016 Adjust font size:
In September 2006, the 2nd ASEAN Plus Three (ASEAN+3) “High-Level Seminar on Poverty Reduction" was successfully held in Beijing. Over 200 senior officials of poverty-reduction departments from the ASEAN countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) and from the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea (South Korea) attended the forum.
The former Chinese Vice Premier of the People’s Republic of China, Mr. Hui Liangyu, presented an opening speech, which proposed to establish a regional poverty alleviation forum mechanism and carry out annual exchange activities. This proposal was widely endorsed by all representatives.
Since 2007, an annual "China - ASEAN Forum on Social Development and Poverty Reduction" was established. Nine such forum sessions were successfully organized so far, on the following topics:
1. 1st China-ASEAN Forum: (October 2007, held in Naninng, Guangxi, China) on “promoting regional cooperation on social development and poverty reduction”
2. 2nd China-ASEAN Forum: (November 2008, held in Nanning, Guangxi, China) on “promoting regional cooperation to realize the MDGs and food security against natural disasters”
3. 3st China-ASEAN Forum: (September 2009, held in Ha Noi, Viet Nam) on the topic of “Social Impact of the Global Economic Slowdown”
4. 4th China-ASEAN Forum: (July 2010, held in Guilin, Guangxi, China) on the topic of “Free Trade and Poverty Reduction”
5. 5th China-ASEAN Forum: (September 2011, held in Jakarta, Indonesia) on the topic of “Poverty Reduction through Quality of Growth”
6. 6th China-ASEAN Forum: (September 2012, held in Liuzhou, Guangxi, China) on the topic of “China and ASEAN: Inclusive Development and Poverty Reduction”
7. 7th China-ASEAN Forum: (August 2013, held in Fangchenggang, Guangxi, China) on the topic of “Poverty Reduction and Inclusive Development in the Process of Urbanization”
8. 8th China-ASEAN Forum: (August 2014, held in Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar) on the topic of “Deepening ASEAN-China Regional Cooperation on Poverty Reduction”
9. 9th China-ASEAN Forum: (July 2015, held in Vientiane, Lao PDR) on the topic of “Financial Innovations for Poverty Reduction”
10. 10th Forum will be held in June 2016 in Guilin, Guangxi, China, and will focus on regional cooperation and on discussion on new poverty lines.
The Forum has been incorporated into the "Plan of Action to Implement the Joint Declaration on ASEAN-China Strategic Partnership for Peace and Prosperity (2011-2015)" and the "Plan of Action to Implement the Joint Declaration on ASEAN-China Strategic Partnership for Peace and Prosperity (2016-2020)" to be signed soon, which has become an important platform for international exchanges of promoting China's poverty reduction policies and practices and experience of Chinese rule of state governance.
China has an ambitious program to eliminate by 2020 rural absolute poverty (defined according to its national standards). At the China - ASEAN Forum, the Chinese practices and programs of targeted poverty reduction was always shared with ASEAN countries, and the partnering countries explained their successful approaches to address rural (and urban) poverty. This knowledge exchange always provides good opportunities for mutual learning and a platform for more integrated actions to fight poverty between China and ASEAN countries.
Guangxi, as the permanent venue of ASEAN Expo, has made the ASEAN forum its brand forum since 2007. The People's Government, and the Office of Poverty Alleviation and Development of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region (GZAR) attach great importance to the co-sponsored forum.