Earthquake in Ecuador kills 246, injures 2,527
Xinhua, April 18, 2016 Adjust font size:
Residents stand in front of the debris of houses after an earthquake in the city of Chone, Manabi Province, Ecuador, April 17, 2016. The strongest earthquake to jolt Ecuador in decades has killed 233 people, the country's President Rafael Correa said on Sunday, as rescuers raced to dig out survivors trapped in the rubble. [Photo/Xinhua]
The strongest earthquake to jolt Ecuador in decades has killed 246 people, as rescuers raced to dig out survivors trapped in the rubble.
The official death toll from Saturday's devastating 7.8-magnitude earthquake has risen to 246 dead and 2,527 injured, Vice-President Jorge Glas, visiting the quake zone, said on Sunday.
At a press conference broadcast live on television, Glas said the priority was to continue searching for survivors in the rubble and to help the injured.
The earthquake struck at 18:58 local time Saturday (2358 GMT) with its epicenter at a depth of 10 kilometers located in northwest of Ecuador's coast. The temblor so far has generated at least 189 aftershocks of various strength.
The quake, felt around the Andean nation of 16 million people, cracked highways and collapsed buildings in a swath of western towns, causing panic as far away as in the capital city of Quito when buildings were swayed.
Ecuador has declared a state of emergency in six provinces and has mobilized around 14,000 army and public security personnel to affected areas.