Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 5 suspected extremists in joint operation
Xinhua,May 08, 2018 Adjust font size:
MADRID, May 8 (Xinhua) -- Spanish National Police and their Moroccan counterparts on Tuesday detained five suspected extremists in a joint operation, the Spanish Interior Ministry said.
Two of the arrests were in Spain, with a 33-year-old Moroccan man arrested in Abadino in the Basque region of northern Spain and a 21-year-old man of Senegalese origin detained in Lorca, southeast Spain.
Three arrests in Morocco were conducted in the town of Castillejos, close to the Spanish enclave of Ceuta on the north coast of the country.
The five are thought to have formed part of the propaganda network of the Islamic State (Daesh) and reported to have used social networking sites to promote terrorist attacks in Europe, as well as posting videos giving instructions on how to use blade weapons.
The Spanish Interior Ministry added that the suspects were in contact with "jihadist" fighters in Syria and Iraq.
Spanish Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said the five "formed part of a recruitment and indoctrination structure of Daesh, which incited attacks in Europe."
The man arrested in Lorca showed "high levels of radicalization and was considered a threat by investigators after having shown his willingness to carry out attacks against a civilian population," while the detainee in Abadino had been residing in an accommodation center for immigrants and was receiving treatment after having received a kidney transplant.
These arrests follow detentions on the Spanish island of Tenerife on Monday of three men accused of indoctrinating and sending a man to fight for the Islamic State in Syria. Enditem