Off the wire
Chinese shares open higher Wednesday  • Angola with 11 wetlands has potential to join Ramsar Convention  • S. Africa's JSE closes firmer as rand slides  • Libya's Benghazi hosts international reconstruction conference  • Czech archaeologists discover unique prehistoric figure  • Auto parts giant Aptiv moving headquarters from Britain to Ireland  • UN chief to appoint special advisor to probe resumption of Cyprus peace talks  • Backstop not part of EU's tactics in Brexit talks: Barnier  • Portugal buys 272 mln 1, 2 cent coins from Ireland  • Ireland unemployment rate drops to decade low  
You are here:  

Libya's Benghazi hosts international reconstruction conference

Xinhua,May 06, 2018 Adjust font size:

TRIPOLI, May 5 (Xinhua) -- The international conference on the reconstruction of the Libyan city of Benghazi kicked off on Saturday, with participation of investors and economic experts from 14 different countries, according to a local official.

"The conference started in Benghazi to discuss rebuilding the city after years of fighting against terrorists. It is time to start its reconstruction and wipe out the dust of destruction," Mohamed Abdullah, member of the eastern-based parliament, told Xinhua.

"There was a broad international participation of 14 Arab and foreign countries in the conference. It will enable businessmen and investors to discuss reconstruction opportunities by improving the infrastructure," Abdullah added, confirming that the conference is supported by the parliament and a number of businessmen in Benghazi.

He also said the conference will continue until the end of the week, stressing optimism about the success of the conference "as it reflects the interest and the sense of everyone of the importance of starting reconstruction of Benghazi and improve the conditions of its people."

The parliament member said the international reconstruction exhibition was postponed "in order to enable as many foreign companies as possible to participate in the exhibition and to see models and proposals of companies for the reconstruction of the city."

Benghazi, Libya's second largest city, was severely damaged by more than three years of violent war between the army and terrorist groups, which ended by the army taking over the city and expelling the terrorist groups last year. Enditem