Off the wire
Chinese shares open higher Wednesday  • S. Africa's JSE closes firmer as rand slides  • UN chief to appoint special advisor to probe resumption of Cyprus peace talks  • Backstop not part of EU's tactics in Brexit talks: Barnier  • Portugal buys 272 mln 1, 2 cent coins from Ireland  • Ireland unemployment rate drops to decade low  • Irish manufacturing sector picks up growth in April  • Chinese shares open higher Wednesday  • WTI crude futures settle up  • S. Africa's JSE closes firmer as rand slides  
You are here:  

France strongly condemns suicide attack in Libya

Xinhua,May 03, 2018 Adjust font size:

PARIS, May 2 (Xinhua) -- France strongly denounced a suicide attack on the headquarters of Libya's Higher Commission of Elections that left scores of people dead, the foreign ministry's spokesperson said on Wednesday.

In an attack-claimed by the Islamic State, suicide bombers stormed the head offices of Libya's electoral commission in the Libyan capital Tripoli earlier in the day, killing at least 14 people and wounding many others.

"Libyans, who were numerous to register on the electoral lists, showed the desire to see these elections brought to an end. Terrorists will not put their wills in check," the spokesperson Agnes Von der Muhll said.

France "calls on all Libyan parties to implement their roadmap for the country, notably the organization of the elections", she added.

The attack came as the UN-backed government, in cooperation with the UN Support Mission in Libya, prepares to hold presidential and parliamentary elections before the end of this year, as proposed by the head of the mission, Ghassan Salame.

Since the 2011 uprising to oust former leader Muammar Gaddafi, Libya has plunged into chaotic violence and political instability which helped the terrorist cell flourish and put the security of the Maghreb region at risk. Enditem