Off the wire
Subway line extension starts trial operation in Tianjin  • Ancient bell discovered in north China  • Chinese scientists complete genome sequencing of anti-malarial plant  • China publishes typical cases on piracy of 2017  • China's supreme court rules for Dior in administrative lawsuit over trademark  • China establishes new company in scale production of satellites  • 1st LD Writethru: UN Mideast envoy warns of danger of war in Gaza  • Feature: Neuer to skip finals to secure World Cup  • Ethiopian gov't says 759,000 regular jobs created past 9 months  • Nigeria's population records 3.2 pct annual growth rate: official  
You are here:  

Libyan army commander "in good health" after medical treatment abroad

Xinhua,April 27, 2018 Adjust font size:

TRIPOLI, April 27 (Xinhua) -- Libya's eastern-based army commander Thursday said Thursday he was "in good health" after returning to the eastern city of Benghazi from a medical treatment trip to France for over two weeks.

"We want to assure you that I am in good health," General Khalifa Haftar said as he addressed a group of tribal elders and government officials.

He vowed to "eliminate all groups that disturb the life of the Libyans."

On April 11, media reports said Haftar was sent to Paris for treatment after a sudden stroke, a trip that his spokesman said, however, was intended for a "normal checkup."

Libya has been torn apart by protracted conflicts following the 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Muammar Gaddafi.

A former commander under Gaddafi who later turned against him, Haftar took full control of the eastern part of the country last year. He is opposed to the United Nations-backed transitional government in Tripoli. Enditem